Goodpasture Christian High
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for alumni of Goodpasture Christian High School to chat and catch up.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Do you appreciate Goodpasture?

Go down 
+9
jasmith
hurley1313
Larkjenn
skyla
Nick_Smith
TiffLopez
heatherD
Dave Slate
Allen
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Allen
Admin
Allen

Do you appreciate Goodpasture? Empty
PostSubject: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 11:04 am

In the famous words of Mr. Wayne Bailiff, do you appreciate Goodpasture?

I know a lot of us did not while we were there, but how do you feel about your time there now? I always loved it there, even when I was getting into trouble and thought their rules were overbearing. I had never been to a school where you could leave your bookbag unattended and not worry about it being stolen as soon as you weren't looking.

Had I not gotten into GP, I would have had to go to Hunters Lane. I hope I don't sound stuck up or high and mighty, but I went there for 2 days before I got accepted to GP and I was disgusted. There was an 18 year old in my freshman English class, what the hell? I also went to Neeley's Bend and Smyrna Middle. Hurley and Eckhardt both went to East Nashville schools before coming to GP, so they can attest to my words - Nashville public schools suck big time. So many of the students there just did not care.

I am really thankful of my time at GP. I met a lot of great people and learned a lot of great things. One of the big differences between GP and public schools was that, even though not everyone was an honor student, everyone cared about themselves, their education, their lives, their futures, their friends, at least a little bit. We had some folks that screwed around, I didn't take full advantage of what was offered me, but if you go to public schools, a majority of those kids simply Do Not Care. About anything.

I know a lot of this had to do with our parents. Obviously most of our parents were somewhat successful as they could afford to pay for private school, so for the most part we had good role models at home and were taught good morals and ethics. We were around others (our friends) who cared about graduating, a majority going to college, a vast majority wanting to be successful in life, wanting to be able to get a good job. So we were influenced by our parents, our friends, and of course, our school. These 3 things are the keys to how a child will turn out as they are the biggest influences on a young persons life.

I didn't get along with everyone, I tried, but I was a hothead in HS with a lot to prove. That being said, I do really appreciate everyone I went to school with. My best friends of 14 years, Philip Hurley, Adam Eckhardt, Jason Davis.

I appreciate the teachers, admin, and coaches that still influence my life today. Coach Baugh, Coach Watson, Coach Hamlett, Mr. Bailiff, Some of the things these guys said to dictate things I do and decisions I make in my life every day.

I appreciate my 2 years on the football team, my 4 years on the track team. I wish I had gotten involved more, that is my only regret. I knew how lucky I was to be able to attend such a good school. Yes, it had it's faults and negatives, everything and everyone in life does. I do wish that I had taken 100% advantage of the opportunity I had been given.

Comments, concerns, corrections?
Back to top Go down
https://goodpasture.forumakers.com
Dave Slate
Class of 1998
Dave Slate

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 1:40 pm

At the time, I hated it. But I was a rebellious punk back then. I left during our Junior year and finished HS via Home Schooling. That may have been the biggest mistake I've ever made. I lost touch with friends and missed out on a lot of socialization that is very important at that stage in life. Now I see all the people and pics and it makes me sad. The class of '98 is the closest thing I have to a "class", yet technically I am not a part of it. [/emo-drama] Sad
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyTue Aug 05, 2008 2:48 pm

Haha. David, you'll always be a part of the Class of '98 to us and that's what matters.
Back to top Go down
heatherD
Class of 1997
heatherD

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 10:22 am

I went to public school for elementary school and would have went to Hendersonville HS if I had stayed in public school. I didn't like GP. I enjoyed the classes but I didn't like my classmates. I was ridiculed and basically treated like I was less than a person because I was different. Also, because I came to GP later the cliques were already formed so I was doomed to social outcast-ism. The only redeeming part of GP was chorus, band, Latin (Coach Hamlett), and math. Other than that, it was a complete wash.
Back to top Go down
TiffLopez
Class of 1998
TiffLopez

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 1:24 pm

I never went to any other school except Goodpasture. I had went there since the little red schoolhouse. I was with the class of 97 until I had to stay back in 4th grade because my math grades were awful. I still always had a hard time with it.
I never knew how bad public schools were until my oldest daughter started school. Most of the parents and kids don't care about anything. Every time I have been to something at my kids school and one of the teachers or whoever was talking all the parents and kids that were suppose to be listening would be running their mouths. Didn't anyone ever tell these people to keep their mouths shut when someone is talking?! Here recently they had to start wearing school uniforms because so many of the brat kids ruined it for all the others by wearing stupid stuff to school. For right now my kids are going to have to stay in public school but I hope by the time they are in high school we will be able to put them in Goodpasture.
I liked Goodpasture. I enjoyed my school years and being a kid. My only regret is that I didn't graduate. I quit Goodpasture in Feb of my junior year. I now look back and regret not finishing. If I would have finished my dad would have been able to see me graduate. He died in Sept of 98.
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 4:14 pm

Tiffany, I'm so sorry to hear that. Coming from a guy that really loves his dad alot. I know how hard that must be, because whenever I picture my life without my advisor and close friend, my dad, tears come to my eyes. Your dad worked with video game machines? That's what I remember...

As Allen is saying, and Tiffany, if the public school system is that bad, yeah I'm glad I went to GP. I got a good education, friends, activities, and learning about God and Jesus as early as 6 years old. I'm glad my parents had been recommended this school, because there are really neat people on here, who went to Goodpasture.

I too was not accepted by some, but that happens anywhere. Even private Christian schools. Kids are kids. Christ said we will be persecuted. Not to downplay it or say it's right, I went through it myself. But to hold on to the negative for me is to ignore all the positive people I met who are still friendly with me. Never believe what anyone else thinks, just do what you do and walk your talk. In the end you would have done the right thing. Sorry to hear about your negative experiences, Heather, because I never judged you in that way and enjoyed playing cards with you and Don G. and others, and being in band together. Some people love everybody, and others are very particular. Intelligence is often perceived as threatening to others and they will not understand it and throw insults. I think being different can be an advantage later in life.
Back to top Go down
TiffLopez
Class of 1998
TiffLopez

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyWed Aug 06, 2008 5:25 pm

Thanks Nick. You are a sweet guy.
Yes, my dad use to work on video game machines. Wow, I can't believe you remember that. I loved it, I thought it was so cool. He use to bring home these huge video game machines and take them to his workshop to work on and I got to play them.
It is wonderful that you love your dad so much! I would give anything to have my dad back again. It will be 10 years this Sept since he died. He got to meet my oldest daughter. She was 2 months old when he died. I wish he was here so bad so he could see all 3 of my girls now. They would love him! As long as he has been gone not a day goes by that I don't think of him.
Back to top Go down
heatherD
Class of 1997
heatherD

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 9:04 am

Thanks for the kind words Nick.

Some kids are just cruel. I'm trying to instill in my daughter a sense of self worth while at the same time trying to teach her that all people are worthwhile as well. She loves everyone. It's funny. We were at Salsarita's the other day and she saw a girl from across the restaruant and said "look at her. she's pretty". I didn't particularly think so, but I was proud of my daughter for being so sweet even when no one could hear her but me.
Back to top Go down
skyla
Class of 1998
skyla

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 6:56 pm

I am not sure how to answer this. I guess I have worn rose colored glasses with regards to high school because I've always told my husband how great it was and how no one ever really got picked on, bullied, or excluded. Now that I'm all grown up I am constantly hearing my friends talk about how persecuted they felt. Maybe I was too and I was just to freakin' happy to notice.

My only real issues were 2 techers (one of which I never even had a class with) that really made my life difficult for a while. I won't mention names, but if you were around me much at all I bet money that you know who they were. I think the fact that I had my own wacky style made the admin think I was on drugs because no God fearing teenager would ever sport purple hair unless the demon dugs had gotten her. Crazy stuff like Allen and I not having our superlative pictue in the year book because he wore eyeliner and my shirt "endorsed halucenogenic drug use" is just one example.

But as far as classmates go, I just felt happy as a clam. Maybe that was dumb and I had my eyes closed to all of these supposed social injustices, but my reality was that I almost never heard anyone get made fun of (except for a teacher or two) and I certainly never saw anyone physically threatened, which is a whole lot more than I can say for my publicly schooled friends.

We're homeschoolers now (Sorry, David) and that seems to work really well for the time being. But I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids to a school like Goodpasture. The only draw back I can see is that those of us privledged enough to go there usually had relatively little exposure to people with different religious or socio-economic backgrounds. But that is a small price to pay for physical and emotional safety. Wouldn't ya say?
Back to top Go down
Larkjenn
Class of 1998
Larkjenn

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyFri Aug 22, 2008 11:07 pm

I was a "lifer" at GHS and for the most part loved my time there. My Senior year was the HUGE exception. I begged my parents to send me to Beech. I didn't care if I would know anyone or not, life couldn't have been any worse there than it was at Goodpasture. I begged Mrs. Ford to let me drop a certain class. I couldn't drop it and graduate with enough "arts" credits. (sorry went blank on what they were called. Mrs. Ford told me I could take it as an independent study, but the teacher would have to come up with work for me to do and since the main thing we did was watch movies, I didn't want to make life harder. I sat through that class eveyday on the front row and had tears every day. When the spring came, I was so glad because I was working on Wizard of Oz stuff everyday in that class while everyone else was watching movies. I had things thrown at the back of my head and things said to me. I don't think the teacher ever knew.

Also that year I had someone leave a "death threat" on my car with a box of tissues on it that said my family would need them. They left in on my mom's car in the driveway at my house. I had been out on a date and came home and found it. We called the police but the fingerprints weren't on file. When my mom went in to Mr. McCarley he blamed it on Wes Cornwell, Derrick Rice and Josh Sissom. I happened to know that the last two were in Cookeville at the time and know in my heart it wasn't Wes. Why would he care about me, he was gone. Why would GHS want to stir up trouble with their "good kids" when it was convienient to blame it on people who weren't there.

I think we all had our issues. It didn't take purple hair, eye liner, being in band, or being new.
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 10:34 am

Wow Jenn, that is crazy to me b/c I thought you were one of the girls that everyone liked. Who the hell would want to do anything like that to you?

Skyla, I have that picture somewhere, I will upload it and post it here. I remember senior year McCarley really had it out for me. I can't blame him, I was always doing something stupid that year or trying to push the lines with my hair or clothes.
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 6:23 pm

What the fudge(still says fudge don't it) I did stupid shit in school trying to get in trouble and never could. Seppie got a demerit/detention from Mrs. Smith for his shirt being untucked while I was standing next to him wearing a shirt down to my damn knees and got a smile and good day from her. I understand how some got more freedom than others but I never could figure out why. I got there as a freshman and pretty much did what ever the hell I wanted to. I loved ghs. I learned without getting shot and the girls were so sexy and un-pregnant(I was zoned for Maplewood. And had seen cops get beaten damn near to death at my junior high by a crack head student.) I only made 2 or 3 friends my first year but I came on strong after that because I decided that I didn't give a fudge if any private school mother fucker liked me or not. I had seen people getting murdered in my back yard and shoot a fucker myself so who gives a shit what a punk ass at school thought. I realized that where I came from didn't matter much and my fellow students were going to like me or hate me. I never focused on one or the other. But I did have a damn good time in school and saw some beautiful girls (and titties) and love the school forever. I just watched that Cunningham kid mess up Ravenwood. Go #24. That kid is bad ass.
Back to top Go down
skyla
Class of 1998
skyla

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptySun Aug 24, 2008 10:57 pm

My goodness, Jenn. I had no idea you were dealing with so much. Good for you, though, for not following the admin's lead and blaming their usual scapegoats.

Allen, I have that picture too. It's in some dorky frame with the superlative list cut out of the Cougar's Paw beside it. As much fun as I had in school, I felt like I floated by relatively unnoticed by anyone not in band and being thought of at all (even as biggest freak) felt like a big deal at the time. Fun times!
Back to top Go down
jasmith
Class of 1998

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 9:07 am

Wow, I had no idea some of you guys went through that stuff. I only was at Goodpasture from 7th grade on, and my first year was hard. I got picked on by one certain person almost every day, and it was all I could do to not get upset about it. I never became friends with that person, but after that year she at least didn't pick on me anymore. Having Jarod there helped, but he seemed to adjust better than I did. I never had problems with any of the teachers, which is a good thing. I was generally liked by them...I think anyway. By the time senior year rolled around I loved the school, and wish now that I hadn't wished away my whole senior year.
Back to top Go down
skyla
Class of 1998
skyla

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyTue Aug 26, 2008 9:57 pm

What were you wishing for?
Back to top Go down
kmoore
Class of 1998
kmoore

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyWed Aug 27, 2008 4:26 pm

a

Last edited by kmoore on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyThu Aug 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Gosh, I'm sorry that you had to go through that, Jennifer. To everyone else who wrote, also, because this type of behavior is so unnecessary. I was a "lifer" too and saw injustices in elementary school between students, but in high school they really go all out to make people feel unwelcome. I was threatened, called names, in front of everyone. But I never backed down and I never left. I never gave them creedence in my own mind. I understood that some people are just jerks who think they're so bad.

But they really are just jerks.

After most of that happened, I accepted apologies from people who gave a crap. I learned that they felt pressured to conform. I never felt I had to prove myself. Either they liked me or not, just like Phillip expressed above. Rumors in high school abound, no matter who you are, where you come from, what you look or dress like, and hate is also expressed and not suppressed one bit. I learned from other's hatred. I vowed never to be like them in return. That's why I never "fought back" even though as a human you want to in that situation. It lets them see their efforts are wasted, just as their time spent to hurt fails and is also wasted. Through my way of handling it, I never had to get one black eye and learned about humanity.

Last edited by Nick_Smith on Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : need to add more content)
Back to top Go down
Larkjenn
Class of 1998
Larkjenn

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptySat Aug 30, 2008 7:38 pm

Please don't anyone feel sorry me. That isn't the reason I put the post on here. I was just trying to say that it happens to everyone. It was a rough year, but what doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? Let's just say that God threw some wicked curve balls my way that year, in my personal life and at school. I went out swinging though.
Back to top Go down
jaj.atl
Class of 1998
jaj.atl

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyThu Sep 11, 2008 11:09 am

I know that you aren't asking for people to feel bad for what you went through Jennifer, but that is just ridiculous. No one should have to endure that kind of hatred when they are kids. And yes Nick, they are jerks and we all had to deal with it but that still doesn't make it fair or right.

I am thankful that I went to GHS for many reasons...one is the thick skin that the classmates helped create as I was put down on a regular basis by a lot of the people (I couldn't do my job without it), the education I received, the wonderful people I was blessed to meet, etc. I feel blessed that I never attended a public school until college (I wasn't a lifer but I did go to Lipscomb Elementary...same difference) and even though I know there was a lot of temptations even in our little school, I honestly never saw any of it. I like that I kept my innocence through my teens Smile
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptySun Sep 14, 2008 2:47 pm

I see your point. I don't think it makes it fair or right, either. I don't remember saying that.
Back to top Go down
kcoggin
Class of 1998
kcoggin

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyFri Sep 19, 2008 11:06 pm

Ok, I was a lifer too, K-12th grade. I love school and I loved our class. Maybe I was blind too Skyla, but I really though everyone truly did care about each other. No we were not all best friends, but we had a mutual friendship and liking of one another or so I thought. I had no idea about a lot of the things obviously. Like Jennifer-that sounds so terrible. WHere was I to never hear about this? that is scary, especially to be 10 years ago.
I am currently a public school teacher her in Metro public schools and WOW! is what I say to that! There are a lot of great elementary schools, but middle and high school-scary. I really hope that when/if Casey and I have kids we can send then to a private school if for middle an high school.
No, christian schools are not perfect, but I knowt hat I would feel a lot better knowing that my kids were there getting there education from a private school. I guess that is enough for now. This is fun! I will have to chat more often. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptySat Sep 20, 2008 2:24 am

Yes Kristie, unless we can move over to the Seigel district (extremely nice public school in Murfreesboro) then we will definitely be putting Christian in private school.
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptySun Sep 21, 2008 12:11 am

Hey! After seeing some of you at the reunion I want to say I had a great time, and I was unhappy I had to leave early. Melissa was nervous, so that's understandable. So I went home early, but it was great to see all of ya that showed. It was a really cool night.
Back to top Go down
crick
Class of 1998
crick

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyMon Sep 22, 2008 1:06 pm

Call me crazy, but I loved my time at Goodpasture, for the most part, at least! I spent K-8th grade in Wilson county schools, before coming to GHS in 9th grade. By then, the clicks were already well formed, but I was able to make friends pretty easily. I don't feel like I ever fit into any of those clicks, and that was ok with me. When I look back, my time at Goodpasture was much better than my time in Wilson county. Obviously, it's a little fresher on my mind because it wasn't as long ago, but it's like comparing apples to oranges. It's a completely different world. I now work at Lipscomb University, and you better believe my kids are going to a private school, even if it is Lipscomb!
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? EmptyMon Sep 22, 2008 1:10 pm

What do you do at LU? Is it a good college, in your opinion?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you appreciate Goodpasture?   Do you appreciate Goodpasture? Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you appreciate Goodpasture?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next