Goodpasture Christian High
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for alumni of Goodpasture Christian High School to chat and catch up.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

For all the band geeks like me

Go down 
+9
Nick_Smith
Larkjenn
spelling bee massacre
hurley1313
kvgamble
kmoore
DBaker
benniepaul
Brandi
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 1:48 am

Dave - it's hard being called names like fag. People use them because of the perceivable difference they notice. They fear (it's a phobia) and resort to exclusion and sometimes physical violence. These people are not acting in acceptable behavior. It's not a Christian thing to do at all. Furthermore, it enhances their ignorance. Western society differs greatly from places like Holland or Sweden where its not a big deal.

But that aside, Nicole I was also berated by Bobby what's his name and he called me a sissy after I quit football. I quit because I had been twice injured in my knee, and was told by Dr. Hannah and later, Dr. Garside that I would need to have surgery on my right patella (kneecap). So when Christmas break came, I underwent arthroscopic surgery. I was given photos of what the inside inflamed, reddened tissue looked like. I told Bobby what's his name and Eric F. that I had had surgery. Eric F. indicated in his senior year signature in my yearbook that he was sorry for "being so hard on you in football. I'm a wild man out there." I totally understand playing the game in a fair way like Eric did. Then, Bobby came into the grocery store I worked in during my year off after graduation and his wife nudged him and he apologized to me for bullying me in high school. I told him to forget about it, don't worry about it, it doesn't affect me. I forgave him and thanked him. He looked relieved. So I think he had "stuff" going on then that came out by acting out against others. Still inexcusable to insult people so drastically.

I think if he used the term "dyke" in reference to you, he was trying to use the worst sort of word, one that others would laugh at and perhaps talk about. High school is full of scrutinizers and people that maintain they are alpha males with no problems of their own, while the problems show through enraged, furious yelling and ridicule of others, rather than dealing with their own mess. Speak softly and carry a big stick, as they say.
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 1:58 am

I am sorry I got lost Who is Nicole?
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 23, 2008 11:17 am

Heather Nicole Billy Bob Willie Williamson Dano Hinton, Jr. III, Esquire
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/desertflamers
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 2:55 am

Esquire... LOL!!!!!
Yeah, Hurley, it was just the name I associated with her photo. I know that the name change took place, but I looked at the photo, not the name, so my shoddy memory of the name change wasn't prepared with her wish to be called "Heather." I'm sorry, Heather! I hope what I said helps you understand the problem you faced. I had to know him and be knocked down and ridiculed back then many times over, so that was my interpretation of the appearance of Bobby what's his name's hostility. Why didn't I just become a freakin' psychologist? I'd get paid lots of moolah that way instead of typing all day (not that I mind it on here, just know if I get carpal tunnel syndrome, it's no big surprise to me).
Back to top Go down
heatherD
Class of 1997
heatherD

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 8:58 am

hurley1313 wrote:
I am sorry I got lost Who is Nicole?

I briefly went by Nichole for 2 yrs, which is my middle name, when I transferred to Goodpasture in the 6th grade. I wanted a change. I decided I didn't like it so I went back to Heather in 8th grade and everyone picked on me for the swap.

It also confused the hell out of Mr. Senn and Mr. Johnson. Mr. Senn just ended up calling me "Dano" so he wouldn't have to remember which one to call me. This then led to many an interesting nickname including the one given by section leader on band my Sophomore yr "Lt Dan".

(and thanks for the random string of names, yet again, Dave)
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 11:59 am

See, we all called people names and made fun of someone in high school. To quote Romy & Michele "I think everyone made someones life miserable in high school."

Even I picked on a few people. And I was at the bottom of the totom pole.

Let us not forget about Mitchell. The sad thing was, a lot of us made fun of him to his face and he didn't realize we were doing it.

I couldn't believe Coach Hamlett got away with saying the things to him in class that he said, even though they were hiliarous.
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 12:30 pm

I was always waiting for that guy to snap. If he would have gone nuts and retard strong he could have done some damage. I always tried to keep my distance.
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 12:48 pm

story was, he worked out at home with his dad. so i betcha he was pretty damn strong. he was far from small. i met his dad in journeys when they both came in. real nice guy. hell, i always liked Mitchell. except when he would push his way through the hall.

does anyone remember the poems he would write about the school lunches?
Back to top Go down
https://goodpasture.forumakers.com
Susan_Hughes
Class of 1998
Susan_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 4:36 pm

I'm sorry, but that guy always freaked me out. Remember the way he'd put his head down and speed through the halls? It was like he was going to run everyone over if they got in his way!
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 24, 2008 4:56 pm

Yeah, he would write those limericks and give them to people. Some of them were pretty funny though. Yet, some were creepy.

When he came to my class reunion last fall, he looked EXACTLY the same.
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 12:21 am

DBaker wrote:
Yeah, he would write those limericks and give them to people. Some of them were pretty funny though. Yet, some were creepy.

what? you can't stop there. what's he doing now?
Back to top Go down
https://goodpasture.forumakers.com
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 25, 2008 11:50 am

Allen wrote:
DBaker wrote:

what? you can't stop there. what's he doing now?

I think still living with his dad. He didn't really talk much about his life or what he was doing. Stevie P. tried to get him drunk at the reunion. It was pretty funny. I think he won the award for "Least Changed" since high school. Anyone else from class of '97 remember? (I think just me and Heather have been posting on here from '97)

I voted for Mitchell to be the most eligible bachelor, but Eric F. won that one.
Back to top Go down
skyla
Class of 1998
skyla

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:22 am

Mitchell lived a few dorm rooms away from my hubby in college. He would stand in his tighty whities and recite lemricks or play trumpet out on the deck all the time. The guy did have a sense of humor about him. You've got to be somewhat confident to do that.

Stevie trying to get him drunk so that eveyone could get a laugh at his expense proves that not everyone matures in 10n yrs. Yes...that includdes all of you who thought it was a great idea.
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:38 pm

I'm not saying it was a great idea to purposefully make fun of him. Call me immature if you want, but I still find the thought of Mitchell drunk quite funny.
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 5:24 pm

I concur, A drunk Michell would would be like watching someone play pinball. Him bouncing of the walls and knocking over people would be very entertaining.

I never read anywhere that I supposed to mature by now. I thought that didn't have to happen until 50. I still laugh when someone farts, or trips, or projectile vomits at a distance greater than 2 feet. I don't want to grow up cause if I did I wouldn't be a toys r us kid.
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 5:51 pm

hurley1313 wrote:
I concur, A drunk Michell would would be like watching someone play pinball. Him bouncing of the walls and knocking over people would be very entertaining.

I never read anywhere that I supposed to mature by now. I thought that didn't have to happen until 50. I still laugh when someone farts, or trips, or projectile vomits at a distance greater than 2 feet. I don't want to grow up cause if I did I wouldn't be a toys r us kid.

I feel the same way. That's why I dressed like Peter Pan for halloween last year. I'm never growing up! I'll wait until 50 or 60. Then I can be a cranky old man and shake my cane at houligans.
Back to top Go down
benniepaul
Class of 1998
benniepaul

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 1:07 am

I am young at heart and will always be. I decided this at a very young age.
Back to top Go down
benniepaul
Class of 1998
benniepaul

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 1:10 am

If Mitchell really wanted to, he could have beaten up most of the guys in high school. He did weight train daily. He had some serious issues that kept him from fighting back. I have a soft spot for all people, no matter how strange they can be at times.
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptySat May 03, 2008 4:44 am

I should add to this that when his mother died he was a freshman. Mr. Senn let us know, and he let Mitchell participate that year in marching band class. He didn't want to march (which he said was due to serious allergies), so he played, and he was playing trumpet (my section), so we just tried to be nice.

Yes, he did behave strangely sometimes, and he had his idiosyncrasies. I think he seemed to use limericks as ways to get through life. I guess we all need our "recliner chairs" that are soft to get us through life.
Back to top Go down
heatherD
Class of 1997
heatherD

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyTue May 20, 2008 11:07 am

I agree that Mitch was weird, but so was I. His locker was next to mine. Something I greatly lamented. I wish I had had a little more patience with him. He used to lose his music and I would act like I was going to refuse to give him another copy, telling him it was a "library rule" that every band member could only be issued one copy of music (I was the band Librarian for 2 years) and then would "break down" and act like I was doing him a huge favor by giving him another copy.

I have to say that any one of us could have been him so maybe we should consider that before making fun of him, even now. However the recollection of him sitting in the band room with wads of toilet paper streaming from his ears because we were "too loud" during study hall days still makes me cringe.
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 EmptyThu May 22, 2008 3:01 pm

I forgot about him stuffing toilet paper in his ears!

Any time I did strange things in high school, like wearing shiny club shirts or wearing all black on one day and all white on another (dear lord - I was a freak!) , it was to get attention.

I had such a horrible home life, that in some effed up way, as long as people noticed me, any attention was good attention - even if it caused people to make fun of me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

For all the band geeks like me
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2