Goodpasture Christian High
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for alumni of Goodpasture Christian High School to chat and catch up.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

For all the band geeks like me

Go down 
+9
Nick_Smith
Larkjenn
spelling bee massacre
hurley1313
kvgamble
kmoore
DBaker
benniepaul
Brandi
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Brandi
Class of 1998
Brandi

For all the band geeks like me Empty
PostSubject: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyThu Apr 10, 2008 11:06 pm

Goodpasture's winterguard (who is instructed by my sister Lori) just won championships last weekend. cheers I am so happy for them. They must be a lot better than we were back then. lol!
Back to top Go down
benniepaul
Class of 1998
benniepaul

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:18 am

total props!
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 2:36 pm

That's awesome Brandi! Yeah, Soul Salad wasn't exactly top notch. Who came up with that retarded name anyway?

And seriously - did no one know I was gay when I joined Winterguard? Hello! Big Red Truck! Ding! Ding! Ding!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/desertflamers
Brandi
Class of 1998
Brandi

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 4:03 pm

And seriously - did no one know I was gay when I joined Winterguard? Hello! Big Red Truck! Ding! Ding! Ding! I totally had to laugh out loud at that. But do you remember that same guard season you asked me out? I think that's what threw everyone off. Kind of like Ken Calhoun's engagement....... to a girl. I don't think he ever gave that washer and dryer back. Ken is the one who came up with that retarded name "Soul Salad.....food for thought". That show sucked balls but it was still better than Synapse that brought about this whole "suicide saturday" movement in the winterguard world. I guess Ken Calhoun is big stuff in the winterguard world now. He is a judge.
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 4:11 pm

Yeah, I guess I was trying to throw everyone off.

I asked you out, Stephanie Harding, Lindsay Wright (I still have her rifle BTW), Robin Halbert, Sara Lewis, etc. And let's not forget about Skyla and also my obsession with Heather Dano.

I didn't want anyone to know I was gay. I probably would have gotten kicked out of Goodpasture.

So Ken's a judge? That's cool. I had a bit of a crush on him. I think that's why I joined Winterguard to begin with.
Back to top Go down
kmoore
Class of 1998
kmoore

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:00 pm

a

Last edited by kmoore on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
kvgamble
Class of 1999
kvgamble

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:49 pm

After reading this it seems like yesterday when all this happened. It is weird that it is 10+ years. When I read the washer/dryer comment I started laughing. There was alot of good times with everyone.
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:51 pm

Okay - why don't I remember the washer and dryer thing? Can someone please tell me what that was all about?
Back to top Go down
kvgamble
Class of 1999
kvgamble

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:55 pm

I know you have to remember this, Ken was engaged to that lady(cannot remember her name), we had a engangement party at the band gave them a washer and dryer. It was not very long after that they broke up and noone ever saw the washer and dryer again. But I think that he did give it back because for some reason I remember it being in the back room for a couple of days. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:56 pm

What year was this? As in Band Theme year? I seriously don't remember the washer and dryer thing.
Back to top Go down
kvgamble
Class of 1999
kvgamble

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 5:58 pm

I do not remember lets see 95/96
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 11:31 pm

Sorry guys I wasn't in band but yeah man I knew you were gay and the school probably would have had a fit. They did have an odd judgemant call around 2000 a senior girl got pregnant and was starting to show and they ruled to let her stay and graduate. Totally unexpected
Back to top Go down
spelling bee massacre
Admin
spelling bee massacre

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 11, 2008 11:49 pm

Well it is a christian school...

For all the band geeks like me Jesusju7 For all the band geeks like me Jesusju7
Back to top Go down
Larkjenn
Class of 1998
Larkjenn

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 10:23 am

David - no offense, but I totally had your number. I wasn't sure if you knew you were gay, but I did. I think if you went back and asked most people in show choir they would probably agree.
Speaking of show Choir - OH THE DRAMA!!!!
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 12:14 pm

No offense taken Jenn - lol! I think it was more obvious to everyone but myself.
Back to top Go down
benniepaul
Class of 1998
benniepaul

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 4:36 pm

hurley1313 wrote:
Sorry guys I wasn't in band but yeah man I knew you were gay and the school probably would have had a fit. They did have an odd judgemant call around 2000 a senior girl got pregnant and was starting to show and they ruled to let her stay and graduate. Totally unexpected

wow! that never happened in our day. I am glad they are learning how to love.
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptySat Apr 12, 2008 10:02 pm

I joined band in seventh grade. I had played piano since when I was young, and was friends with Michael Agee and Scott Nichols, and also Donnie Givens, and I really wished in sixth grade that I could be in band instead of chorus. Then, I made the decision and got lessons and started playing in seventh grade. Trumpet, just like Michael and Scott. I loved being able to blast out the dramatic parts of music, such as Jurassic Park theme trumpets, and also making new friends and going to band camp. Wasn't that a blast?! I loved it when we sang the devotional songs "the Eagles way," as Travis of drumline would recommend to us.

I saw David getting teased by older people, but I saw that from everyone so I really didn't know, but I had a feeling. That happens to some guys though - and it's either true, or not and either way they can shake it off like water from a duck's back. I remember being asked if I was wearing a San Francisco 49ers hat because I was queer? I was like... no. Same dude that teased David. So. like I say, who cares about that?

I really enjoyed the trips. I saw how much band meant to, especially Seniors who were having their last year together after having been such fast friends. It really was like seeing best friends having to go separate ways, to different colleges and destinies. But the trips were awesome - sharing music CDs, eating food or candy, playing a show like pros, winning competitions, winning number one band back-to-back both years was awesome! I had loved Phantom's music since I heard my dad playing it on piano and listening to the original London cast. I got it from I-tunes, and it brought back many warm memories of fun, funny, intellectual, people. I miss all of you guys and I look forward to seeing all of you at reunion.

I live in the Nashville area, and when I heard Mr. Senn had heart surgery, I went to see him during his convalescence. He told me he knew I wouldn't like football, and that he wished that I hadn't left band. Rebecca Avrit told Mr. Bloodworth the same thing, and he told me. All I can say is, I wish I had stayed in band. It was awesome. Good news that Mr. Senn recovered OK but they had to give him a pig's heart valve, the mitral valve I believe.

Of course, I also really loved my section. I loved my section leaders. I loved getting ready to perform. I loved downing bee honey to rock it every time with some natural sugar. We were and are still "Elite" but the whole band has to perform, and we were the ultimate band experience. Let me close my longwindedness by saying I marched three years at U. of Kentucky, got to see all the football home games and a few road games and bowls, and did pep band two years seeing basketball games in Rupp Arena. Music isn't something you do, and then forget. It's a way of living, as anyone who loves it knows.
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptySun Apr 13, 2008 8:49 am

that's pretty cool. i'm glad you got to carry it on through college. you still playing piano?

and i didn't know David was gay, but i don't think i had any classes with him.
Back to top Go down
https://goodpasture.forumakers.com
skyla
Class of 1998
skyla

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyMon Apr 14, 2008 11:39 pm

Anyone remember the short lived Red Hotties? Oh, the trouble we caused with our airbrushed shirts under thos hideous blue windbreakers Ken made us wear.
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 4:20 am

I remember we had band managers, and that one of them filled in as a trumpet in the 1994-95 school year. She is in our section photo. Others you may remember from that section are Scott Nichols, Hillary Henderson, Derrick Rice, Sarah McCracken, and Lori Phifer. They were all good musicians, and I am glad that I had the much-too-short time to get to know them well and joke and kid around with them. lol, many laughs. My goodness, what an extravaganza it all was back then of fun.
Back to top Go down
Brandi
Class of 1998
Brandi

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyTue Apr 15, 2008 9:25 am

Oh Yeah! The Red Hotties! Everybody was so jealous of our airbrushed shirts we got at the mall. I actually had red hots in the glovebox of my CRX until I sold it. Those were the days.
Back to top Go down
heatherD
Class of 1997
heatherD

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Nick_Smith wrote:
I remember we had band managers, and that one of them filled in as a trumpet in the 1994-95 school year. She is in our section photo. Others you may remember from that section are Scott Nichols, Hillary Henderson, Derrick Rice, Sarah McCracken, and Lori Phifer. They were all good musicians, and I am glad that I had the much-too-short time to get to know them well and joke and kid around with them. lol, many laughs. My goodness, what an extravaganza it all was back then of fun.

I believe that would have been my sister filling in during her senior year in 1993/94. She couldn't play but she marched with the trumpet.
Back to top Go down
heatherD
Class of 1997
heatherD

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 2:48 pm

I may be totally stupid but I had NO idea that DAvid was gay. None at all, but it may have been all the stalking secret admirer letters that totally threw me off. Just maybe. And then all the girls he went out with. maybe that too.
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyFri Apr 18, 2008 3:24 pm

heatherD wrote:
I may be totally stupid but I had NO idea that DAvid was gay. None at all, but it may have been all the stalking secret admirer letters that totally threw me off. Just maybe. And then all the girls he went out with. maybe that too.

I didn't really know it myself. I didn't know how to process those feelings because I didn't want to be that way. I prayed to God that I wouldn't be gay. Plus everyone made fun of me and called me a fag and I didn't want them to be right. And by going out with girls, I was suppressing the feelings that I didn't want to have. So basically, you were my excuse to not be gay. No offense. As long as I said I had a crush on you or asked girls out or dated girls, in my mind I wasn't gay. It's just screwed up how the mind tries to compensate for things like that. It was a very grueling mental process and it took quite a few years for me to finally accept myself. That's part of the reason I moved away.
Back to top Go down
heatherD
Class of 1997
heatherD

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me EmptyTue Apr 22, 2008 4:00 pm

[/quote]everyone made fun of me and called me a fag . . . . It was a very grueling mental process and it took quite a few years for me to finally accept myself. That's part of the reason I moved away.[/quote]

It was good that you could move away and find somewhere that you could be yourself.

I still remember Bobby Whats-his-name in our class screaming at me down the hall our Jr year that I was a dike. What a jerk. I still have no idea what that was all about and obviously he couldn't have been more wrong.

I think sometimes people just want to attack others that are different from them. You and I were just easy targets. Probably didn't help that we were in band and gorgeous to boot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For all the band geeks like me   For all the band geeks like me Empty

Back to top Go down

For all the band geeks like me
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next