Goodpasture Christian High
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for alumni of Goodpasture Christian High School to chat and catch up.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

What are you afraid of?

Go down 
+10
benniepaul
kmoore
heatherD
Susan_Hughes
Dave Slate
DBaker
jaj.atl
hurley1313
TiffLopez
Allen
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Allen
Admin
Allen

What are you afraid of? Empty
PostSubject: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 6:03 pm

Heights, drowning, death in general? Why are you afraid of these things?

I used to be afraid of drowning, but I read that you pass out before your lungs explode. I was also afraid of burning to death, but you pass out from smoke inhalation and don't feel anything. Now I'm afraid of just getting burned.

Right now, I am afraid that my son will get hurt. It will happen parents. You will get a call that your child/son has broken their arm, lost a permanent tooth, cut by glass, something. I try not to think about it, but just educate him about stuff. It won't be long before he breaks an arm or leg, he's always climbing on stuff. I caught him perched atop our 7 foot fence yesterday like freaking Spiderman. I need to put him in gymnastics, but I want to start Boy Scouts this summer.

Anyways, what do you fear?
Back to top Go down
https://goodpasture.forumakers.com
TiffLopez
Class of 1998
TiffLopez

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 6:21 pm

I would have to say drowning. Being caught on fire sounds awful too. But my biggest fear out of those would be drowning. I hate driving over bridges with water under them! Ever since that interstate bridge that fell (I cant think of it at the moment) and all of those people fell into the water it just makes it worse.

Allen, now why are you so scared of your son climbing? You know kids LOVE to do that. You use to do the same thing when we were kids. Remember climbing all of those trees?
I just remembered something from when we were kids. I remember when you were standing and waiting for something you use to put your hands behind your head and kinda bounce your knee. Know what I am talking about? Do you still do that? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyThu May 15, 2008 11:33 pm

I fear that someone will hurt my girls and I won't be able to seek vengence on that person.
I have had this dream a few times.
I am in bed and a car door slamming wakes me up. I look outside and see people holding my daughter in the backseat of a shitty car. For some reason I always have 2 guns. The first one is a pistol and it always jams as the car is taking off. I see my daughter reaching for me. The other gun is a rifle and as the car gets farther away all I can focus on is Izzy so I decide to take the shot to end my own daughters life to keep her from whatever torture and hell that the kidnappers can cause. They put her body on the road and speed off and she dies in my arms. Now matter how hard I try I can never find the people.
Back to top Go down
jaj.atl
Class of 1998
jaj.atl

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 9:03 am

I used to be afraid of being alone...without that significant other...but I got over that one after I broke off my engagement. Used to be afraid of heights but something happened and now I am not...hope to go skydiving soon.

Now I am afraid that I will be too cynical and/or protective of myself and not let people in. It's what I do.

Since I don't have any kids to worry about, I have this fear that I might break my cat's back when clipping her claws (don't laugh, it happened to one of my friends in college).
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 11:42 am

I'm afraid of turning 29 next week. Ugh.

Besides that, yeah, drowning and burning to death. Basically any death that is horrible and wretched I fear.

I'd rather just slip away in my sleep.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/desertflamers
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:05 pm

DBaker wrote:
I'm afraid of turning 29 next week. Ugh.

Besides that, yeah, drowning and burning to death. Basically any death that is horrible and wretched I fear.

I'd rather just slip away in my sleep.

I turn 28 in less than a month. I'm pretty null to this one as I was 27. 25 and 26 were hard.
Back to top Go down
Dave Slate
Class of 1998
Dave Slate

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 12:37 pm

I am afraid of large groups of people, being alone for the rest of my life and (most of all) loud sudden noises. ..I HATE those... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:08 pm

I am not a fan of loud sudden noises, either. Not afraid, but they piss me off.
Back to top Go down
Dave Slate
Class of 1998
Dave Slate

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 1:17 pm

I usually walk through hanted houses with my fingers in my ears. LOL

<- Sissy...
Back to top Go down
Susan_Hughes
Class of 1998
Susan_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 2:58 pm

I'm with you on the loud and sudden noises. You should've seen me that first 4th of July after my first tour in Iraq. I was in Korea, so it wasn't as big a deal but there were fireworks and I had to run inside. LOL Also, immediately after that first tour, my dad and I were cleaning all my equipment in the driveway and he banged a mat on the ground and I literally hit the ground. LOL He still makes fun of me for it. I'm not nearly as jumpy as I used to be, but loud noises still hit a nerve with me.

Julie, you'll love skydiving! Jumping with the Army isn't like jumping in the civilian world, but you're so light that you'll float for longer. On my only door jump I was the first one out the door and almost the last one to hit the ground. 50 parachutes falling all around you mid-air knowing they could land on you and take you out at any time...Now that's TERRIFYING!

Of course I've got a fear of the extremes you all mentioned, but being burned isn't something I constantly fear or think will happen to me.
Back to top Go down
heatherD
Class of 1997
heatherD

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 4:18 pm

I fear is being murdered in my sleep. Usually by someone weilding a knife. I have had this fear since childhood. I check my closet several times before turning off the lights.

I'm also afraid that there really is a person who lives under my bed who is ready to grab my ankle at any moment. (true paranoia is hard to get rid of)
Back to top Go down
kmoore
Class of 1998
kmoore

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 4:31 pm

a

Last edited by kmoore on Wed Oct 13, 2010 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 4:58 pm

That's funny. When I was real young I saw a movie where a girl got in bed and it panned down under the bed and a pair of red eyes lit up. My mom sent me to bed immediately after that. I had to run and jump into my bed for years after that.

I still kind of get chills every now and then if the lights are off and I have to get into bed. Weird.
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 11:06 pm

Allen ain't joking about the loud noises. You should see him at a gun range.
Back to top Go down
benniepaul
Class of 1998
benniepaul

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyFri May 16, 2008 11:09 pm

My biggest fear has to be slipping and falling from a far height such as a cliff.

I would still be up for skydiving with an instructor harnessed with me.
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 2:51 am

Well, I actually fell from the cliffs by the ravine/creek at Moss-Wright park when I was five. My thinking was that I would throw pebbles into the water, as I stepped near the edge, the grass was high and I couldn't see the edge of the probably six-foot cliff. I remember falling and extreme pain and, then landing on the stones below. Only afterward did I learn that the pain was from falling and slipping underneath barbed wire. My dad did the most unselfish thing and jumped right after me underneath the barbed wire. We both got cut up, but I don't have to have my own children to know the love a father has for his son, and so I understand all y'all are saying you fear your children may come to harm. I pray that they never do.

Also, I am afraid of dying gruesome deaths also, but my intense fear is a preoccupation with spiders and being bitten by the two poisonous varieties. I've never been afraid of snakes, though, and I guided a canoe down a creek while watching my back while a cottonmouth hissed at me in the nearby water.
Back to top Go down
Susan_Hughes
Class of 1998
Susan_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 5:37 pm

Ok, the cottonmouth would've sent me running for the hills FOR SURE! Snakes terrify me.
Back to top Go down
skyla
Class of 1998
skyla

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyMon May 19, 2008 11:52 pm

I hate to beat a dead horse, but the kid thing really gets me. Right after Hannah Jane started walking I had this image of her falling off of the sidewalk into the road and seeing a car tire go righ over her head. It was such a graphic image that I just couldn't shake it.

And the climbing and jumping off of things... We joke that this phase of parenting is more like suicide watch than actual parenting. It's work just keeping tem alive.

Outsie of kids I'd have to say I fear some huge societal collapse whre we enter another Great Depresion or are suddenly a territory of North Korea or some crazy thing like that. Haing just typed that I realize that I have lived among the hippes for far too ling now. flower
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 8:41 am

What are you afraid of? 363981 That's funny, I was listening to a radio show (Phil Valentine) yesterday and he was talking about the hippie population in Oregon.

The images are a hard thing to shake off. Every time I hear of some kid getting injured or killed it's in my head for awhile. I'm pretty protective of Christian, but I try not to baby him. I realize he's going to get hurt, break a bone, need stitches, whatever. Especially as much climbing as he is doing right now.

What are you afraid of? 363981
Back to top Go down
heatherD
Class of 1997
heatherD

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyTue May 20, 2008 11:15 am

skyla wrote:
I hate to beat a dead horse, but the kid thing really gets me. Right after Hannah Jane started walking I had this image of her falling off of the sidewalk into the road and seeing a car tire go righ over her head. It was such a graphic image that I just couldn't shake it.

I have to agree with the child thing. When Jubilee learned how to arrange furniture to get what she wants I became very nervous. My mom told us a story of my sister climbing up on top of the fridge as a child and drinking an entire bottle of Dimatapp. She was fine but slept over 12 hours.

My worst fear is that Jubilee will climb up on the kitchen counter, turn on the garbage disposal and put either a hand or foot in there which will then be ground to a bloody pulp. (maybe I can thank Goonies for the idea). It's not a daily fear, but when it comes to my mind, I can't get rid of it for days.
Back to top Go down
skyla
Class of 1998
skyla

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 7:22 pm

Suddenly I'm thankful not to have a garbage disposal!
Back to top Go down
jaj.atl
Class of 1998
jaj.atl

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyWed May 21, 2008 10:17 pm

I won't stick my hand in a gabage disposal when I am alone...can't imagine the fear of thinking my child might do that. Sheesh.
Back to top Go down
DBaker
Class of 1997
DBaker

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 12:47 pm

Yeah, anytime I need to stick my hand in the garbage disposal, I unplug it first. But even then I have irrational fears of poltergeists suddenly activating it and cutting my hand off.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/desertflamers
Brandi
Class of 1998
Brandi

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyThu May 22, 2008 7:05 pm

Okay, the garbage disposal thing really gets me too. A lady that used to babysit my sister was cleaning a deer, saw a huge chunk of venison go down the sink, and instinctively stuck her hand in there. She had it bandaged up for a month. Now every time I run the disposal, i think to myself, don't stick your hand in there, don't stick your hand in there.
Back to top Go down
skyla
Class of 1998
skyla

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? EmptyTue May 27, 2008 12:18 am

That's serious commitment to venison! Now I may never get a disposal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What are you afraid of?   What are you afraid of? Empty

Back to top Go down

What are you afraid of?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goodpasture Christian High :: General Discussion :: Off-Topic Discussion-
Jump to: