Goodpasture Christian High
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for alumni of Goodpasture Christian High School to chat and catch up.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

do you remember...

Go down 
+13
Susan_Hughes
Brandi
heatherD
Nick_Smith
benniepaul
jaj.atl
skyla
DBaker
kvgamble
Dave Slate
spelling bee massacre
Allen
hurley1313
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Brandi
Class of 1998
Brandi

do you remember... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 12:57 pm

Did you know that Anderson Cooper is Gloria Vanderbilt's son? There's a totally useless tidbit for you. Do you ever wonder about the bias of the news that was reported on channel 1? Anderson Cooper and Lisa Ling lean way left of center, and if you want to watch them, fine. But really don't you think if we are going to make it mandatory for schoolchildren to watch news everyday that it should be spin free?
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 1:44 pm

I got your back on the spelling, David, it's Altschul. The name is Jewish and comes from the name of a synagogue in Prague. Anderson Cooper is not the only Channel One journalist with a distinguished (?) background: Her father is a former Goldman Sachs partner and banking mogul who was on the board of trustees of many museums and philanthropic organizations. I had to look some of that up.
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 26, 2008 5:50 pm

Most of the news leans heavily to the left. I love Savage on the radio but it usually gets me angry and I already have anger problems and high bp so I can't listen to much.
Back to top Go down
Brandi
Class of 1998
Brandi

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 12:10 am

I thought I was the only one under 50 who listens to talk radio all the time. I like Savage too but my favorite is Bill Handel. He always makes me LMAO. Where did he go anyway?
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 10:24 am

Handel cracks me up. He is only on Saturday nights now. I like Valentine to but I wish Handel would come on more.
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 4:40 pm

I share the hypertension. High BP sucks. I'm generally trying to increase my cardiovascular system's efficiency. I like swimming more than walking. What about you, or anybody else? Is swimming an exercise any of you do? Because to some people it's just recreational and fun at the beach. Oh I wish I could lay on the sand right now.
Back to top Go down
Susan_Hughes
Class of 1998
Susan_Hughes

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 27, 2008 7:04 pm

I actually learned how to swim my last tour in Iraq. I had a lesson every Sunday morning before church and it kicked my butt! I'm a runner and believe me, swimming two laps across a swimming pool is way harder than any marathon!
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 1:15 am

i listen to talk radio constantly. it used to be only 99.7, but i recently found 1510 on the am and now i listen to Hannity and Rush if i'm in the car at the time.
Back to top Go down
https://goodpasture.forumakers.com
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 11:57 am

Yes, it can be difficult. I swam competitively from the age of 8 to 15. I did it during the summers on a team. Then when I started working out trying to lose weight several months ago, I joined the YMCA so I could swim. They only have one lane roped off, so sometimes I have to dodge the people who are doing water aerobics with these big foam things they hold onto.

I try to swim 400 yards a day when I go there. Sometimes I do 300 instead. The swimming alongside the medicine I take brought the BP down. Now it's no longer high. Yes! Goal accomplished. When I turned 13 I was the only guy swimming 13 and 14 age bracket, so I swam as many heats as possible, against the other teams who had zero challengers. Of course I won - I was the only one swimming. But I still had to execute proper form and follow the rules.
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 12:41 pm

I need to swim more. I work out pretty hard and when I am done, I usually don't have the energy to stay afloat. I swear I saw Joe Reid swimming at my Y.
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 1:59 pm

Swimming now, I look like a manatee. Just kidding. The emphasis on cardiovascular, and working multiple muscle groups, is what I value about swimming. It is the ultimate heart-pumper, and works well at adding lean muscle and burning plenty of fat. The swimmer's body is a difficult attainment. But this is probably old news to you. I do find that changing things around - i.e. performing one stroke for a while (one of your favorites, and one that you can do very well) and then switching to a different stroke, can make it less boring and more fun, while at the same time working more muscle groups.

No energy to stay afloat - sounds like you're still hitting the weights and also doing some other form of cardio. I understand. I just do resistance-type for now, especially lat pulldowns, legpress, but I also do arm curls with free weights, 3 times a week for the weights and four for swimming. It makes me feel better after I'm done. That's one of my prime motivators. Check it out - I completed a step aerobics class at Lipscomb while I went there and it was a heck of a workout. I was the only guy there. I represent!
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 2:57 pm

Nick_Smith wrote:
I got your back on the spelling, David, it's Altschul. Her father is a former Goldman Sachs partner and banking mogul who was on the board of trustees of many museums and philanthropic organizations. I had to look some of that up.

So, here's some news already, while I was viewing the Washington Post online, here's what I found in an article about the merger of Mars (chocolatier) and Wrigley (the gum co.):

Funding for the deal included $11 billion from Mars, $5.7 billion from Goldman Sachs and $4.4 billion from Berkshire Hathaway, the investment and holding company headed by Warren E. Buffett. Buffett is also a Washington Post Co. director.

So, Serena Altschul's father is a former member of Goldman Sachs, a corporation that funded this merger to the tune of $5.7 billion. I had mentioned her background in this thread when we were discussing Channel One talking heads. What a coincidence, if loosely connected.
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 4:10 pm

Nick_Smith wrote:
Swimming now, I look like a manatee. Just kidding. The emphasis on cardiovascular, and working multiple muscle groups, is what I value about swimming. It is the ultimate heart-pumper, and works well at adding lean muscle and burning plenty of fat. The swimmer's body is a difficult attainment. But this is probably old news to you. I do find that changing things around - i.e. performing one stroke for a while (one of your favorites, and one that you can do very well) and then switching to a different stroke, can make it less boring and more fun, while at the same time working more muscle groups.

No energy to stay afloat - sounds like you're still hitting the weights and also doing some other form of cardio. I understand. I just do resistance-type for now, especially lat pulldowns, legpress, but I also do arm curls with free weights, 3 times a week for the weights and four for swimming. It makes me feel better after I'm done. That's one of my prime motivators. Check it out - I completed a step aerobics class at Lipscomb while I went there and it was a heck of a workout. I was the only guy there. I represent!
I keep a fast and steady pace while hitting the weights. 30 seconds between sets and 60 seconds between different lifts. That way my heart rate stays up.
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 5:19 pm

I just buy guns so I don't need to work out. You got pecs I got tecs. To stay at my high school weight i continue to smoke and now drink heavily. At least 2 liters of Jim Beam#7 a week. I like to keep it at 60 seconds a shot and 30 seconds a puff. Keeps me nice and level headed.
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:04 pm

Holy crap I just LMAO! Wow. You gotta do Comedy Central standup, Hurley. My favorite drink is Malibu with diet coke, which I do keep the Malibu around. I drank with my band friends in college, though, but I settled down some. For bourbon, I like Jim Beam and Maker's Mark. Jaegermeister kills. I can't do that. But for some reason I like the Malibu and I drink it when I don't have to work the next day, but not to drunkenness. At Mexican restaurants I always wish I could try tequila, which I heard is "to kill ya." That ain't stopping me tho, one day I will try a shot of that.

I stopped by a Mexican restaurant with Melissa, and we ate and I ate this Xanga which is cheesecake in a flour tortilla fried, with ice cream, whipped cream, and a cherry. The place is in Smyrna, and if I have a diabetic coma, I wouldn't be surprised. One dessert a week.
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 28, 2008 8:09 pm

hurley1313 wrote:
I just buy guns so I don't need to work out. You got pecs I got tecs. To stay at my high school weight i continue to smoke and now drink heavily. At least 2 liters of Jim Beam#7 a week. I like to keep it at 60 seconds a shot and 30 seconds a puff. Keeps me nice and level headed.

And this is why you were one of the reasons I wanted to start this forum.
Back to top Go down
skyla
Class of 1998
skyla

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 12:21 am

Susan_Hughes wrote:
I actually learned how to swim my last tour in Iraq. I had a lesson every Sunday morning before church and it kicked my butt! I'm a runner and believe me, swimming two laps across a swimming pool is way harder than any marathon!

Happy to see I'm not the only one who reached adulthood needing swim lessons. I still can't swim a lick. Joe tried to teach me at our university pool and I kept catching glimpses of him looking around to make sure that no one was seeing him with this obviously handicapped chick flailing around in the pool. Now that I have te babies I have an excuse to wade around the shallow end with a kid on each hip and pretend like that's the only reason I'm not actually swimming.
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 29, 2008 2:25 am

I'm glad you both learned or are learning. It's truly a great sport. I got to meet Tracy Caulkins at the Sportsplex and have her sign my heat sheet. She is very cool with the public. She was an Olympics swimmer. I like watching most any sport, but the reason I think people enjoy actually participating in swimming or running, is that it's them racing against others, but also against themselves. You always want to go faster. Plus, you don't have to hit anyone or get fouled.

But the big reason I love it is because it is low-impact (this is, after all, how our astronauts train for weightlessness), so I don't have to re-injure my knee. Which I did twice in football at school, once afterward playing football with my youth group, and once afterward while mopping up a spill at the campus restaurant at college. It's an injury I have to watch closely, meaning I can't run much and also I can't pivot in basketball. There are times I do both of those however.
Back to top Go down
Larkjenn
Class of 1998
Larkjenn

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 7:38 pm

Just curious if anyone was in Coach Ballard's class with me Freshman year? I remembered an incident when David brought up Mitchell Crabtre. One day Coach Ballard came in to class running late from the fieldhouse. He was carrying his briefcase and I told him that that day he really looked like Mitchell. I thought he was going to come across the room at me. We were doing Romeo and Juliet and I was so afraid to go to his desk to recite it because I thought he was going to KILL me.
Back to top Go down
Larkjenn
Class of 1998
Larkjenn

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 7:45 pm

Hey Hurley - I saw Mr. Johnson at school today and asked him about the Lottery play. All he did was laugh and agreed that you guys did screw up about every line.
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 7:47 pm

I am shocked he remembered. Honestly he probably didn't but he would agree to anything you said. It sucks because I no longer have a reason to go back to GHS. All my favorite teachers are gone.
Back to top Go down
Larkjenn
Class of 1998
Larkjenn

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 02, 2008 7:53 pm

Honestly, the few times that I have been back since we graduated, I haven't made it out of the Jr. High office very much. I go in and talk to Mrs. Roder (she was Mrs. Tucker when we were there) Her first husband was in a hospital room next to my grandmother before he passed and we spent weeks at the hospital talking to her.
Back to top Go down
skyla
Class of 1998
skyla

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 07, 2008 11:10 pm

I want to drag my husband in to see the school. He has the idea that all private school kids sit around and sip lattes with their feet up on their granite-top desks. I can't stand it. He needs a reality check. Are there many people from our day still there?
Back to top Go down
Nick_Smith
Class of 1998
Nick_Smith

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 08, 2008 3:20 am

I'm guessing you mean teachers. Mr. Hamlett, Dr. Dennis, Ms. Evans, Ms. Smith, Ms. Thomas have all left. So many good ones gone. I think Mr. Hamlett is still doing his radio show, but not sure. Ms. Smith and Ms. Thomas are still too young to retire, so the general concensus is that they sought teaching positions elsewhere.

The administration went through changes, and the President passed away. They are having a reception to welcome the new President, Mr. Ricky Perry, on May 16th at the Fine Arts Center, which is now named after William F. Ruhl (Bill Ruhl). He is the one who was President when we were there.
Back to top Go down
jaj.atl
Class of 1998
jaj.atl

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 13, 2008 9:31 am

Not that the majority of you care...but almost every one of the football coaches are still there. Even if they don't teach. And a lot of people we went to school with now teach there...kinda neat.

And yes, I just said neat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: do you remember...   do you remember... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

do you remember...
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goodpasture Christian High :: General Discussion :: Goodpasture In General-
Jump to: