Goodpasture Christian High
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place for alumni of Goodpasture Christian High School to chat and catch up.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Potty Training

Go down 
+2
skyla
tisha
6 posters
AuthorMessage
tisha
Class of 1998
tisha

Potty Training Empty
PostSubject: Potty Training   Potty Training EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:23 pm

Okay, I need help with potty training. When is a good time to start? MacKenzie will be a little over 16 months old when Maddie is born and everyone is telling me to wait because MacKenzie will go back to peeing in her pants for attention. I don't know what to do. I think I wanna go ahead and start, but is this a mistake? Please let me know what you think and please don't hold back.............I think everyone knows that I am very straightforward. Thanks a bunch for any advice you can give!
Back to top Go down
skyla
Class of 1998
skyla

Potty Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potty Training   Potty Training EmptySun Sep 28, 2008 10:53 pm

It all depends on the kid (don't you get sick of hearing that?)

Hannah Jane decided that she had to be botty trained a few months before I was due with Hunter, and like you I worried that she would regress so I really tried to not deal with it until after he was born. But she had her own ideas and was completely potty trained by 18 mo, a few months before I had Hunter, and didn't ever regress.

That being said, Hunter will be 3 in Jan and refuses to even look at the potty. I've done everything and he has no desire. I feel like, Hey! I've done this before. I should know how it's done. But the reality is that I had very little to do with Hannah's potty progress and Hunter is a totally different animal.

Ask Brandi. I hear she had some great success with a candy bar bribery method. Sounds worse than it is. Reality dictates that bribery must be implemented from time to time while parenting.

Anyway, I think it's safe to start talking about it and experimenting with it as long as you won't feel frustrated if she''s not ready or she does regress. It cn b a long process, so why not at least get her thinking about it? I believe it is more when THEY are ready than it is when WE are ready.

I know this was way more info than you wanted. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Brandi
Class of 1998
Brandi

Potty Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potty Training   Potty Training EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 12:24 am

Yes, I admit the bribery method worked for me. I got a bag of fun sized snickers and told him that he would get one every time he used the potty. He has never had an accident since that day. I did not need to resort to negative consequences. They say that if you punish them when they have an accident that it will actually delay their progress. Like Sky said, it's when THEY are ready. So try it out, see how she responds. If she hates it, don't push it. Try again in a couple of months or after the baby. Maybe you should just wait until after the baby. Although I did not have any regression issues either.
Back to top Go down
tisha
Class of 1998
tisha

Potty Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potty Training   Potty Training EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 12:03 pm

Thank you so much! That was not too much info Skyla....every bit helps!! It's so nice to get advice from younger Moms......I really appreciate it alot!
Back to top Go down
Allen
Admin
Allen

Potty Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potty Training   Potty Training EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 2:21 pm

Karmen said she read a book to Christian called Once Upon A Potty. Christian thought the main character was funny and wanted to poopoo and peepee just like Him.
Back to top Go down
https://goodpasture.forumakers.com
Brandi
Class of 1998
Brandi

Potty Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potty Training   Potty Training EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 4:14 pm

My sister was actually trained using once upon a potty as well. There is a girl and boy version.
Back to top Go down
hurley1313
Admin
hurley1313

Potty Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potty Training   Potty Training EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 5:06 pm

I used candy bribes also that evolved to anything fun that she wanted to do. Worked quick. The young one wants to start now because she sees the older one doing it.
I have heard the best for boys is to put cheerio's in the toilet and tell them its a game to sink them.
Back to top Go down
tisha
Class of 1998
tisha

Potty Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potty Training   Potty Training EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 5:33 pm

Thanks everybody! I will definitely try the book......she LOVES books! I hope this goes well!
Back to top Go down
TiffLopez
Class of 1998
TiffLopez

Potty Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potty Training   Potty Training EmptyMon Sep 29, 2008 7:00 pm

We used the book and video Once upon a potty. I don't think it really worked for us. But the girls really liked the video. They thought it was funny.
My oldest was the easiest to potty train. She was completely trained after about a month. But my middle did not want want to learn. She was really close to starting kindergarten before she was finally trained. I believe she was jealous of our youngest that is now 2 is why she wasn't wanting to learn.
It just depends on the kid. She might want to learn or she might want to try and "stay a baby" because once your youngest gets here she might get jealous of all the attention that you are going to have to give her and not care a thing about wanting to try.
You're just gonna have to work with her and see what happens. Good luck, I hope she does well!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Potty Training Empty
PostSubject: Re: Potty Training   Potty Training Empty

Back to top Go down

Potty Training
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Goodpasture Christian High :: General Discussion :: Off-Topic Discussion-
Jump to: